I make this almost every Rosh Hashana, it's a great dish for autumn. It's dairy-free, good for those who are lactose intolerant.
- 2 lbs granny smith apples (or any tart apple)
- 1 cup sugar (or less)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans or 1⁄2 vanilla extract
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- Peel, core and slice apples, not too thin.
- Make a syrup with the water and the sugar.
- Add the spices, apples and raisins.
- Cook covered until tender, but still hold their shape.
- Add the liqueur and the honey.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Make Italian Meringue------------------.
- Stir sugar and water over heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Let cook until a thick syrup.
- Meanwhile, whip with an electric beater the whites until they form soft peaks.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup into the whites, beating all along until cool.
- Spread meringue on top of apples, bake in preheated 350 F oven until golden.
Terrific, and worked beautifully. i scaled the amount down to three and used apple pie spice rather than the separate ones.