1/1 Photo of Apple Meringue
I make this almost every Rosh Hashana, it's a great dish for autumn. It's dairy-free, good for those who are lactose intolerant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs granny smith apples (or any tart apple)
- 1 cup sugar (or less)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 vanilla beans or 1/2 vanilla extract
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1Peel, core and slice apples, not too thin.
- 2Make a syrup with the water and the sugar.
- 3Add the spices, apples and raisins.
- 4Cook covered until tender, but still hold their shape.
- 5Add the liqueur and the honey.
- 6Place in a baking dish.
- 7Make Italian Meringue------------------.
- 8Stir sugar and water over heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- 9Let cook until a thick syrup.
- 10Meanwhile, whip with an electric beater the whites until they form soft peaks.
- 11Slowly pour the hot syrup into the whites, beating all along until cool.
- 12Spread meringue on top of apples, bake in preheated 350 F oven until golden.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Meringue
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 46.2 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: