- In a large bowl, mix together apples and sugar.
- Stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to apple mixture; stir until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in caramel ice cream topping.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups sifted powdered sugar.
- Beat in 2 1/4 cups additional powdered sugar to reach the appropriate spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter.
- Frost top of this cake layer.
- Add the second cake layer on top; frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with additional pecan pieces and drizzle with extra caramel ice cream topping.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator.