1/2 Photos of Apple and Sage Stuffing
1 hr 20 mins
When I saw this recipe in Gourmet Magazine, I knew I would have to try it. The magazine states, "This delicious stuffing is similar to a savory bread pudding." Bake it along side rather than inside, the bird.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced peeled cored apple
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups French bread, 1 inch cubes with crusts (from 1 lb loaf)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add sausage; sauté until cooked through and brown, breaking into pieces with spoon, about 8 minutes.
- 3Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- 4Add celery and next 6 ingredients to drippings in skillet.
- 5Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- 6Discard bay leaf.
- 7Add mixture to sausage.
- 8(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Reduce to lukewarm before continuing.) Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 9Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 10Add bread to sausage mixture.
- 11Whisk milk, broth, and butter in bowl to blend.
- 12Mix into stuffing; season stuffing with salt and pepper.
- 13Mix in eggs; transfer to prepared dish.
- 14Bake uncovered until cooked through and brown, about 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple and Sage Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 639.9
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 143.2 mg
- Sodium 890.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth