3 hrs 30 mins
Thanksgiving's not really about the turkey, it's about the gravy, right? It has to be good and there has to be a lot of it. We figure about 1/2 cup per person, so there's enough to lace the vegetables and stuffing as well as the turkey and mashed potatoes. Making it ahead not only means you don't have to fuss too much on T-day itself, but also that you can make a large quantity. WinCo is a good bet for finding the turkey parts you'll need to make this gravy.-- Adapted from Woman's Day magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 turkey wings (or other parts, about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (divided)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the turkey wings in a single layer in a large roasting pan. Roast until wings are browned, about 11/4 hours.
- 2Transfer the wings to a 5- to 6-quart pot along with the carrot, celery, onions and 6 cups of chicken broth. Refrigerate the remaining 2 cups of broth.
- 3Deglaze the roasting pan with about 1 cup of hot water, scraping and stirring to release and dissolve all the cooked-on juices. Add this pan juice to the pot along with the thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 11/2 hours.
- 4Transfer the wings to a cutting board, remove the skin and bones and save the meat for another use.
- 5Strain the broth into a 3-quart saucepan. Use a wooden spoon to press as much liquid as possible from the vegetables. Discard vegetables. Skim excess fat and discard. Bring the broth to a gentle boil.
- 6In a separate bowl whisk flour into the 2 cups chilled broth until well-blended. Whisk flour mixture into the boiling broth. Bring the gravy back to a boil and cook until thickened about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butter and pepper. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- 7Serve immediately or freeze up to 6 months.
- 8Makes 7 to 8 cups.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Advance Planning Turkey Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.6
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 59.9 mg
- Sodium 116.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 18.5 g