1/2 Photos of Acorn Bread
Very tasty, with a distinctive texture. Great for Thanksgiving! American colonists in the Northeast used all available food sources- acorn bread is an adaptation of a Native American recipe which was somewhat common in the late 17th century until the mid 19th among the poorer working classes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Grease a loaf pan.
- 3Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- 4In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, and oil.
- 5Combine dry and liquid ingredients.
- 6Stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients.
- 7Batter will be a bit lumpy.
- 8Pour into a greased pan, bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 9Acorns are very easy to use, similar to chestnuts.
- 10First examine the acorns as you pick/gather them.
- 11Throw away any that are wormy/moldy/cracked/etc.
- 12Next, shell them.
- 13Early in the season (August-September) the shell is usually soft enough to cut through.
- 14Later in the season acorns may require a nut cracker, though many times the shells are rather thin and brittle.
- 15Taste the raw acorns- if they are bitter, they need to be boiled.
- 16Tannic acid causes the bitterness, and is easily leached out by boiling the acorns in successive pots of water.
- 17When the water no longer turns brown (looks a lot like tea), the acorns are ready.
- 18The next step is to roast the acorns slightly.
- 19Use a warm oven, no more than 250 degrees.
- 20Acorns that have not been boiled will take 60 minutes or so, boiled acorns will take longer.
- 21Once they're roasted, the acorns can be used in place of nuts in most recipes, although they are less oily than most nuts.
- 22They can be glazed like chestnuts, simmered in a soup, ground and used as a flour extender.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Acorn Bread
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1203.6
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 220.1 mg
- Sodium 3534.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 27.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: